Monday, May 13, 2013

When Company Comes
















Tomorrow I will be at the table when company comes
you will hear my stomach growl and my nails will be unclean.
I have waited for this meal with you a long time but
you won't understand anything I say.

Don't breath too deep nor wish my hair to be combed
Yes water is fine, though my hands will not take time to butter the bread
The guest that draws the short straw will sit pale next to me
and will only think they are uncomfortable
when I begin to wash their feet before mine.

I will speak of kids that hustle on the streets, crazy voices, the
dealers and how we could love the street-bound a little more
than they can hope for. You'll need to read between the lines for what I really hunger for.
All the coins begged for on street corners will never fill
the deep hole that so many are digging.

You are all that I have-
It will just be easier if you just think I'm not looking for
dignity on tomorrows menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment